Thursday, October 15, 2009

May 6, 2009

Book Reports!
One of the great things about having a light air passage is that it's calm enough, and there's time enough to do some reading. I read a terrific book just before we left Majuro, and am in the middle of another right now, and I'm inclined to encourage all my friends and family to enjoy and learn from what works for me. So I think I'll send out a few book reports on favorites.
Notice that the address I'm sending this from is a winlink.org account. This is the system that sailmail evolved from, developed by the ham radio community as the internet evolved. It works pretty much the way sailmail does, but being an amateur organization, it is prohibited from carrying any business or commercial traffic. I guess that means I can't advertise for you to buy or rent these books, but can encourage you to visit the library!! Do what you like! Using the winlink service is a little harder than sailmail, I think because it has no inbuilt funding method, so the quality of land station equipment depends on operators spending their own money to set up, and pay for upkeep. Two operators in Hawaii closed last year because electric utility rates got high enough that it was stretching their pension checks to run the stations. I'll be looking into how donations can be offered, when we get back to NZ. These folks make life better for us. I'll use winlink to take the pressure off sailmail, to be sure it's open for our weather data. This may run slower, but we have a lot more available time than on the sailmail account.
The book we finished just before we left Majuro was "The Wal-Mart Effect". I forget the author's name, but you'll find it if you want to. This is a serious academic exercise aimed at evaluating the economic effect, and the reason for it, surrounding the retail giant. It's neither an apology, nor a bashing exercise. During the writing period, 2003-2005, Wal-Mart assumed it would be another attack, and refused any request for information or interviews. After publication, they recognized it as an honest effort at clarification and constructive criticism, and invited the author to do a yearlong lecture series for their management staff. That's covered in an appendix in the second edition. Despite being meticulously even handed, and extensively supported with source material, this is NOT dry, dull, or hard to read. What it IS, is a tremendous view of the world retail economy, how it works, and why the effect of Wal-Mart is so pervasive, and powerful. The key outcome (my telling you won't spoil the suspense!) is that in an organization of this type, "SCALE COUNTS". Size DOES, in fact, matter. It's become important for educated people, voters, community leaders, and students, to have a working understanding of how the economies, both local and global, work. Without that information, you can't make a rational, responsible decision about what course your community should follow, what projects you should support or oppose. Your quality of life, and that of the next generations relies on your decisions. The author relies on many, many interviews, and vast amounts of statistical data to show cause and effect. I particularly am interested to hear if Jeff, my economist nephew, has read or reviewed the book, and get any relevant commentary. In my opinion, every one of you who receives this correspondence from us should read it, and if you buy it, then badger someone else to take it and read it. Pass it around. It's important.
Next book is about good food. Lots of you will like it. I'll write it up as soon as I finish it. Ted

No comments: